Friday, April 29, 2011

How to Clean a Squirrel

I used to do a lot of squirrel hunting, but I didn’t usually clean the squirrels. My husband did that. I killed the squirrels, he cleaned them, I cooked them, and he ate them. That seemed like a pretty fair arrangement. One day I decided I needed to learn how to dress the squirrels by myself in case my survival ever depended on it, so I proceeded with doing so. It took me forever to get the skin and hair off!  That’s the hardest part of dressing a squirrel – getting the skin and fur off.
They say a picture’s worth a thousand words, so I figure a how-to video is worth even more. The man in the attached video has a good system for cleaning squirrels. I learned to use a similar method, but I used a knife instead of a cleaver. I like the cleaver idea, though. I think it probably works better than a knife.
It’s of utmost importance to use a very sharp knife or cleaver. It’ll make your job much easier and much quicker. I’ll be adding my favorite squirrel recipes soon, so stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment