Saturday, May 21, 2011

My Experience with Survival

For several years of my life, I was in survival mode. I didn’t do this because I couldn’t afford to buy food at the grocery store. I did it because I could. I enjoyed growing my own food and taking advantage of gathering and harvesting nature’s bounty. It gave me a deep feeling of accomplishment and security whenever I saw all my home-canned goods lined up neatly on their shelves and knowing that my freezers were full of meats, game, poultry, fish, vegetables, fruits, and nuts.
We kept pigs, beef cattle, goats, turkeys, and chickens, so we always had meat and eggs available. We also hunted for deer, quail, woodcock, doves, ducks, geese, rabbits, raccoons, and wild pigs. We also fished, crabbed, and netted shrimp. Sometimes we picked our own oysters and dug our own clams, too.
We had some fruit trees, but I also took advantage of wild fruits, including blackberries, blueberries, and mayhaws. I also gathered nuts and put them in the freezer.
We had our own milk cows, so we had fresh milk and cream. Sometimes I made my own butter and whipped cream.
I don’t do most of these things now because I can’t. For one thing, my health won’t permit it, and for another, I no longer have the land I once did. I can still share my knowledge and experience with you. Actually, I’m still into survival – it’s just taken on a different form. Now I find deals and buy in bulk and store the foods and other items in the barn or in my survival closets.
What I grew in my huge garden
Acorn squash
Bell peppers (all colors)
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Butter beans
Butternut squash
Cabbage
Cantaloupe
Carrots
Cauliflower
Cherry tomatoes
Corn
Cream forty peas
Cucumbers (slicing and pickling varieties)
Eggplant
English peas
Field peas (several varieties)
Ford hooks
Green beans
Herbs
Hot peppers (several varieties)
Lettuce (several varieties)
Mustard greens
Okra
Onions
Pattypan squash
Peanuts
Plum tomatoes
Pole beans
Potatoes
Pumpkins
Strawberries
Sweet potatoes
Sunflowers
Tomatoes (numerous varieties)
Turnips
Watermelons
White acre peas
Yellow squash (two varieties)
Zipper peas
Zucchini

Frozen meats and poultry
Beef
Pork
Chicken
Goat
Turkey

Wild game
Frozen venison
Venison jerky
Frozen quail
Frozen doves
Frozen rabbit
Frozen duck

 Frozen fish and seafood
Shrimp
Crabmeat
Bass
Bream
Catfish
Flounder
Trout
Whiting
Redfish


Canned vegetables
Green beans
Tomatoes
Carrots
pumpkin

Frozen vegetables
Whole kernel corn
Creamed corn
 Corn-on-the-cob
Yellow squash
Tomatoes
Okra
Butter beans
Ford hooks
Garden peas
Field peas
Butter peas
Diced onions
 Diced bell peppers
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Winter squash

Frozen fruits
Blueberries
Blackberries
Strawberries
Peaches

Jams, jellies, and preserves
Apple jelly
Blueberry jam
Blackberry jelly
Peach jam
Pear preserves
Plum jelly
Mayhaw jelly
Pepper jelly
Scuppernong jelly
Strawberry jam
Watermelon rind preserves
Fig preserves

Pickles and relishes
Chow chow
Whole dill pickles
Dill pickle slices
Onion relish
Green tomato pickles
Bread and butter pickles
Cucumber lime pickles
Pickled okra
Pickled eggs
Pepper relish
Pickled peaches
Pear relish
Squash pickles
Watermelon rind pickles
Zucchini pickles

Other
We also grew our own sugar cane for syrup. The syrup making was done in the fall.
I froze bags of shelled pecans.
I froze bags of boiled peanuts.
I parched and fried peanuts for snacks.
I toasted sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds.
I usually grew a row of popcorn in my garden.
We kept honey bees.
We stored potatoes, sweet potatoes, and onions.
I made my own sourdough bread.



No comments:

Post a Comment